A commitment to sustainable construction and structural openness characterizes the design of a new parish center for the Free Protestant Church of Ottobrunn.
The design of the building evokes the area’s traditional longhouse architecture with asymmetrical pitched roofs. The familiar structure feels welcoming and integrative – and is well-suited to its role as a church parish center with an affiliated day care center. Geometrical distortions and a consistent use of wood for both frame and façade create the impression of a monolithic edifice. All of the windows are square, inserted in sizes ranging from S to XL depending on their position in the building. Unexpected views into and out of the building break with common perceptions.
Building the structure entirely of wood and relying on wood pellet heating technology are consistent with the church’s commitment to sustainability. The design places the foyer at the building’s narrowest section, where an extensive use of glass radiates openness. The foyer leads to the church and the parish center on one side and the day care center on the other.
Investor: Freie evangelische Gemeinde München Südost
Gross floor area: 1612 m²
Gross volume: 6450 m³
Servicephases: 0–7, artistic direction
Kohaus, Maren (Project Leader)
Fuchs, Ulrike (Project Leader)
Cauwenberghe van, Arthur
Ingenieurbüro J. Braun - H.Haas - S.Lerzer, Neumarkt (Structural design)
t17 Landschaftsarchitekten, Munich (Landscape design)
Energie System Technik GmbH, Miesbach (Electric planning)
bauart Konstruktions GmbH + Co. KG, Munich (Fire proofing)